The Houston Business Journal is looking for an Associate Editor.
The Associate Editor is a critical player in the planning and production of the weekly print product, and also contributes to the weekly and daily digital cycles in multiple ways: helping plan and execute special publications and focus sections, copy editing, and creating a digital strategy around that content. This is a perfect position for someone looking to get their feet wet in the editing world.
The Associate Editor will coordinate and edit our awards publication content, ensuring accuracy at the highest level, and will also contribute to content creation by occasionally writing articles for special reports, award publications and other special print publications as needed. The Associate Editor will also help contribute to the website content on a daily basis.
The Associate Editor also may serve, at the direction of the Editor, as the editorial department’s liaison with other departments in matters that pertain to awards publications, events, and other cross-departmental activities.
- Conceive and execute the production of special publications and special reports.
- Gather, format and repurpose content for digital.
- Edit and proof copy for style, clarity, spelling, grammar, consistency, context and accuracy.
- As called upon, contribute to the writing of news items throughout the day for the Business Journal’s digital platforms.
- Assist Editors in managing awards publication production, including outreach to awardees.
- Write headlines, sub-heads, and cutlines, and other informational or graphics copy. As with all copy, the Business Journal’s goal is 100 percent accuracy.
- Regularly participate in and attend Business Journal sponsored events.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
Skills and experience
- Solid copyediting skills.
- Strong sense of organization
- Someone who can handle several projects at once.
- Collaborative skills a must.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Creative planning skills.
- Experience with management of editorial projects.
- Stickler for detail.
- Social media skills a must.
- Minimum of 1-2 years editing experience in print or online
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience