Houston Biz Journal seeks an associate editor
The Associate Editor at the Houston Business Journal is a critical player in the planning and production of the weekly print product, and also contributes to the weekly and daily publishing cycles in multiple ways: helping plan and execute special publications and focus sections, copy editing, and helping recruit and coordinate with freelancers.
Through innovative storytelling, inventive layouts, and ambitious concepting, the Associate Editor ensures the best reporting efforts of the newsroom are put to their fullest use. The Associate Editor will be tasked with creating a content plan that aligns with our editorial calendar.
The Associate Editor will take special report content and, together with the editors, will come up with ways to package content for a digital audience.
The Associate Editor will also work on expanding our audience through our social media platforms. Therefore, a professional demeanor on social media is a must.
The Associate Editor also may serve, at the direction of the Editor, as the editorial department’s liaison with other departments in matters that pertain to awards publications, events, and other cross-departmental activities.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Solid copyediting skills.
- Strong sense of organization
- Multitasker. Someone who can handle several projects at once.
- Minimum of 1-2 years editing experience in print or online
- Collaborative skills a must.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Creative planning skills.
- Experience with management of editorial projects.
- Stickler for detail.
- Social media skills a must.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities, work schedules and/or location may change based on evolving business needs
- Conceive and execute the production of special publications and focus sections.
- Conceive and execute business executive profiles.
- Source and coordinate with freelancers in the production of business journal content on occasion.
- Gather, format and repurpose content for digital.
- Edit and proof copy for style, clarity, spelling, grammar, consistency, context and accuracy.
- Oversee the publication’s main social media handles.
- As called upon, contribute to editing of news items throughout the day for the Business Journal’s digital platforms.
- Assist Editors in managing awards publication production, including outreach to judges and awardees.
- Regularly participate in and attend Business Journal sponsored events.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
About the Houston Business Journal
The Houston Business Journal publishes breaking business news online and publishes a weekly print edition that’s read by more than 50,000 readers each week. Our readers rely on the Houston Business Journal for in-depth local news to help grow their businesses, drive business decisions and meet the influencers in the market.
HBJ is one of the 43 Business Journals owned by American City Business Journals, the largest publisher of metropolitan business newsweeklies in the United States, with 43 business publications across the country reaching more than 3.6 million readers each week.
American City Business Journals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Giselle Greenwood, Editor-in-Chief