Gannett seeks economic growth reporter in Binghamton
Central New York Media, a Gannett Company and an award-winning member of the USA TODAY Network in Binghamton, Elmira and Ithaca, N.Y., seeks a regional economic growth reporter to cover the re-engineering of the economy of the Southern Tier of New York State.
Could this be the reporting job for you? The Southern Tier was one of three regions in upstate NY that recently won a competitive award of $500 million from the state earmarked for economic development. Projects already are bubbling. This is an exciting time to cover business and the economy.
We don’t cover economic development and the economy the old way. We view this position as one of the key ones on our regional staff and this position in the past has reported directly to the executive editor or a senior editor.
You will report on the regional economy for all three newsrooms, but you will be based in Binghamton, which is the largest of the three markets.
We have injected watchdog/accountability reporting in all of our coverage and every reporter is encouraged to do investigative reporting on his or her beat. In the last year, some of our best and award-winning investigative work has focused on business and the economy.
You will work with editors who have extensive backgrounds in economics and business academically and as journalists. The opportunities for training and growth are tremendous.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1-2 years of experience in daily journalism
- Some academic or practical background in business and/or economics. At the very least, a deep interest in state, regional and national economies.
- Basic math, statistics, data and finance skills – understand compound rates of growth, know that economic statistics can be flawed and be aware of the difference between net sales, net income and earnings per share.
- Exceptional journalism fundamentals, including interviewing, reporting, writing for all platforms.
- A genuine interest in digital storytelling and a realization economic stories can come to life through such journalism.
- The ability to produce a basic video and to make pictures with a smartphone or a more sophisticated camera.
- Experience using Facebook and Twitter to promote institutional and personal branding. Familiarity with other social media platforms is preferred.
- Comfort with continuous deadlines but also an effective long-term project planner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation. Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
To apply, go here.