WSJ seeks a US news reporter in Houston
The Wall Street Journal seeks an experienced and versatile reporter to serve as a national correspondent on our U.S. News team.
This is an opportunity to be part of a fast-paced team that is prized for its ability to respond to major breaking news events and produce quick-turnaround pieces, as well as deeply reported enterprise stories. The topics will vary, but will typically be related to the most important national stories, including natural disasters, the pandemic, economics, and state and local politics.
You should be someone able to think fast in the middle of breaking news and write with flair in a way that illuminates Journal readers on the social issues and other stories that define our times.
- Report on breaking news, then dig in to produce enterprise stories that shed light on what happened and why. Often, the reporting will require travel around the country.
- Cultivate sources that allow you to break news and deliver scoops ahead of the competition.
- Collaborate with colleagues globally while reporting on a range of topics, and help produce audio, video and visual journalism.
- Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to identify and execute important stories on deadline.
- A demonstrated ability to tackle ambitious projects and find original approaches to coverage, and the motivation to work independently when needed.
- A track record of finding and connecting with the communities, businesses, organizations and groups whose stories shine a spotlight on important national issues.
The position will be based in Houston and report to U.S. News bureau chief Ben Fritz.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job and examples of your work.
To apply, go here.