The Wall Street Journal is looking for a reporter to cover cybersecurity and corporate efforts to protect their data.
Knowledge of cybersecurity issues is becoming a part of the remit for top executives and board members, who see cyber and privacy threats as significant business risks.
You will cover news, events and the technology used by companies to guard against hackers and other threats. You will be part of the WSJ Pro Cybersecurity team, producing news and analysis for premium subscribers.
Cybersecurity has all the ingredients of a juicy beat: crime, high financial stakes, national-security concerns and existential threats to both critical infrastructure and the biggest companies in the world.
The ideal candidate will have a sharp eye for details that bring these stories to life while not losing sight of the larger picture. Stories can come from healthcare, the energy industry, financial services, retail — any sector where hackers strike and corporate security chiefs must guard assets.
Along with excellent news coverage that adheres to the highest ethical standards, newsletters and live journalism are growth areas for the Journal, and you will be part of shaping our approach and execution in these areas.
- Develop sources across companies, trade groups, boards and regulators
- Conceive and write news stories and develop big-picture enterprise pieces
- Contribute to WSJ podcasts and conduct interviews during our live-journalism events
- Be a collegial team player who is comfortable collaborating as well as doing solo work
- Contribute to the daily newsletter
- At least five years of journalism experience
- A nose for news that your competitors are missing
- Ambition and sharp reporting skills
- The ability to explain complex subjects in clear and engaging ways
- Ideally, experience covering cybersecurity
The position is based in New York and reports to the WSJ Pro Cybersecurity Deputy Editor. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining how your skills, experience and interests align with the requirements of the role. Please also submit work samples.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, go here.