The Verge seeks a news editor
News is the beating heart of The Verge, and we’re looking for a talented News Editor to keep it running. As News Editor, you will join a team of reporters and editors who race to publish the sharpest angles and best analysis on the essential tech news of the day. Our News Editors stand on the front line of The Verge’s editorial operation, keeping our savvy audience informed and delighted.
WHO WE ARE
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Candidates should have a fierce passion for consumer technology news; you should feel a constant need to know what’s happening in the world of platforms and gadgets, and a desire to deliver the best story before anyone else. We’re looking for someone who’s excited to watch news feeds, vet stories, deliver sharp headlines and angles, and assign hits. Working with our Senior News Editor, you will be responsible for steering a fast-paced newsroom and making quick decisions about coverage.
Ideal candidates will come with experience in editing short-form news stories. The ability to identify and write a great lead is a must. When you’re not running news feeds, you’ll also be responsible for writing news stories.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Gathering stories from news feeds and spotting breaking news
- Running our newsroom, including managing story vets, identifying angles, and assigning stories
- Editing news stories from both seasoned reporters and junior writers
- Writing news
WHO YOU ARE
- Experience writing, editing, and publishing fast breaking stories
- Prior experience as a News Editor is highly desired
- The ability to transform complex ideas into interesting and understandable stories, with an eye toward the audience’s interests and needs
- An ability to connect the dots — taking a technology or culture story from something abstract to something tangible
- Has a love for breaking news
- Passionate for The Verge’s core coverage areas of technology and science
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
To apply, go here.