Reuters seeks a business investigations editor
Reuters is seeking an accomplished, tenacious and ambitious editor to lead and shape a new business investigations team as part of our Global Enterprise unit. The successful candidate will manage a group of journalists to produce a mixture of quick-turnaround exclusives, rolling investigations that unfold over weeks and months, and deep-dive projects exposing practices that violate laws and regulations or break trust with investors, customers, workers and the public.
We value editors who are creative, collegial and collaborative – and able to thrive in a large, globe-spanning newsroom. In addition to managing their own team, the successful candidate will work closely with Reuters journalists around the world to leverage our vast knowledge on subjects ranging from finance, markets, commodities and technology to politics and social issues as they relate to all matters business. Our clients and readers rely on Reuters to be the leading source of business news, and we view this position as a force multiplier for the indispensable work our beat journalists already provide.
The successful candidate must be able to manage complex and long-term projects that involve reporters with varied levels of experience, often in multiple locations; deliver crisp and clear copy, even if doing so requires top-to-bottom rewrites; and embrace and demonstrate our commitment to fairness and accuracy through rigorous editing and bulletproofing of stories. Crucially, the candidate must show a commitment to collaborating with photographers, videographers, graphics journalists and story designers as partners in the conceptualization, reporting and presentation of our work. The business investigations editor will report to Global Enterprise Editor Mike Williams, and will work closely with other editors, including our investigative projects editors, data-journalism editor, and finance, commodities, corporate and legal editors.
We are considering applicants in both London and New York as possible locations.
About the Role
As Business Investigations Editor you will:
- Lead a team of accomplished enterprise reporters
- Produce exclusive stories, both quick stories building off breaking news and longer-term projects on business topics
- Work with journalists around the world
You are a good fit for the role of Business Investigations Editor if you have:
- Ability to edit investigative journalism at the highest level
- Ability to edit explanatory journalism at the highest level
- Ability to manage both complex reporting projects and quick-hit in-depth pieces
- Substantial experience editing investigative and explanatory journalism
- Experience managing reporters
- Experience working with visual journalists
- Numeracy: an aptitude for data and an ability to spot opportunities where the creative use of it can elevate stories
To apply, go here.