Journal Inc. is looking for someone to cover major business stories in Mississippi and help oversee the editorial content of the Mississippi Business Journal as a senior reporter.
This position is ideal for an experienced reporter looking to step up into an editing role but who still loves to report and write.
We cover business on two main scales: the impact of larger industries, businesses and trends on the state as a whole. and the local business community and economic strength of the metro-Jackson area.
We need someone who can explain the intersection of politics and business on the newly formed medical marijuana in Mississippi, explore the challenges of downtown redevelopment in the state capital of Jackson, and produce engaging storytelling on a new restaurant.
The ideal candidate can balance breaking news, storytelling, editing freelance stories, engage readers on social media and help manage our growing newsletter audience.
This position will answer to the executive editor of Journal Inc. and the publisher of the Mississippi Business Journal.
This position will:
- Write weekly stories.
- Manage our day-to-day digital offerings.
- Select content for and schedule daily headline newsletters.
- Explaine the impact of national issues on our state business climate.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Work with editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and developing ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Promote a personal brand, the brands of colleagues, and that of the Mississippi Business Journal and other Journal Inc. properties.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least three years experience covering business and economic development.
- Bachelor’s in journalism or a related field such as communications or media or the equivalent in experience.
- Experience working with social media, search engine optimization and/or digital marketing.
- Strong news judgment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven record of balancing various projects and story types that illustrate your ability to multi-task in a competitive environment.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health insurance with optional dental and vision
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Relocation assistance package available.
Send resumes, clips and references to Executive Editor Sam R. Hall at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.