Walmart is both the largest private employer in the U.S. and the biggest retailer in the world, and we’re looking for an ambitious, creative newshound to get scoops and dive deep on its continuing transformation from brick-and-mortar store fleet into a global advertising, health-care and delivery behemoth. With 90% of Americans living within 10 miles of a Walmart store, plus a global footprint in 24 countries, the company has an outsize impact on everything from wages to inclusion to the financial health of the American consumer. (It’s also led by the world’s richest family, whose fortune grows by about $3 million an hour.) This beat includes coverage of Walmart’s chief big-box rivals, from Target to Best Buy, all of which are trying to adapt in the age of Amazon. Also in focus are the consolidating US grocery chains like Kroger and Albertsons, fighting to bulk up against the Walmart juggernaut, and the fast-growing dollar-store companies. We’re looking for a reporter to confidently break news, write quickly on deadline and conceive and report enterprise features.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
An experienced journalist who loves to get scoops, with a focus on cultivating sources and teasing out tips. This reporter should be able to nurture and sustain relationships with members of the corporate C-suite while simultaneously earning the trust of the rank-and-file retail workers who know the real ins and outs of their employers. Our ideal candidate is versatile: capable of handling quarterly earnings, quickly turning out analytical enterprise stories and championing innovative story-telling across different platforms. You’ll work closely with teams worldwide — from tech to TV, radio and Bloomberg Originals streaming documentaries — to map out the future of big-box retail.
WE’LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Break news that’s meaningful
- Have the energy and drive to come up with ideas for stories and projects that are informative, investigative and a delight to read and watch
- Coordinate and work collaboratively with other news teams as well as our magazine, podcast, data visualization and video groups.
YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE:
- First-rate writing and reporting skills
- Grace under deadline pressure and openness to feedback
- Experience in cross-team collaboration
- A record of creativity and innovation
- An all-hands-on-deck ethos when the going gets busy
- Experience covering companies, the economy, markets or labor, or an interest in learning
To apply, go here.