The Duluth News Tribune is seeking an education reporter to cover K-12 and higher education, focusing primarily on Duluth Public Schools and the University of Minnesota Duluth. Located on the shores of beautiful Lake Superior, the News Tribune is Northeastern Minnesota’s premier news source and offers journalists an opportunity to hone and grow their skills in a challenging and highly rewarding environment. We seek a self-starter who is passionate about storytelling, adept at producing content on multiple platforms, enjoys newsroom collaboration and thrives in an innovative atmosphere. The ideal candidate is someone who will reach beyond traditional school board meeting coverage and create content that is unique in our media landscape. Please submit a resume, cover letter and five story samples that showcase your creativity, resourcefulness and ability to engage your readers.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops strong relationships with sources and readers.
- Is comfortable working independently as well as collaboratively within the newsroom.
- Hits assigned deadlines.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments as stories progress toward completion.
- Works efficiently and manages time well.
- Receives assignments and develops own ideas into relevant news content.
- Gathers, verifies and provides information for stories through interviews, observations and research.
- Organizes material, determines focus and writes stories according to editorial style and format standards, for multiple platforms.
- Builds rapport and stays attuned to local, regional and state issues, attends local and regional board meetings.
- Collaborates with the newsroom’s visual and design teams to ensure stories are presented to readers in the best possible way.
- Incorporates multimedia aspects such as video, audio and photography in all stories.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen, interview and take accurate notes and write accurate, clear and concise stories.
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, maintain confidentiality, balance demands, set priorities and manage multiple issues/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of AP Style, Freedom of Information Act and libel laws.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to work well with coworkers and story sources.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
- Must carry an acceptable level of vehicle insurance as required by the company.
For further information click here.