Fast Company’s digital team is recruiting a Senior Staff Editor to shape and drive technology coverage, a subject area that is and has always been foundational to our journalistic mission.
Working with staff writers and freelance contributors, this editor will oversee an ambitious editorial mix that brings together urgent news, in-depth reporting, essays that consider long-term trends, and astute explainers and reviews of emerging technology. The ideal candidate is a dogged journalist who is fascinated by the ever-changing digital landscape, from understanding the Creator Economy springing up on TikTok to tracking how enterprise technology is adapting to dynamic new workstyles to interrogating the economic and ethical questions raised by Silicon Valley’s ever-changing power dynamics.
Position will ideally be located out of our office in New York City but could be remote for the right candidate. It is represented by the Fast Company and Inc. union the Writers Guild of America-East.
Salary: The Guild minimum for this role is $75,000; salary is negotiable based on the candidate’s skills and experience.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Determine and drive the editorial strategy for FastCompany.com’s Technology section.
- Manage the story ideation and selection process
- Edit and mentor writers, and find opportunities to showcase new voices on the site
- Pitch and execute ambitious journalism projects, assembling cross-functional teams to ensure high quality and reader engagement
- Consider ways to extend our journalism beyond the site, connecting our Tech reporting with social media, newsletter, events, video, and audio efforts
- Develop new areas of coverage with input from growth and audience development partners to better understand what types of stories resonate with our readers, and why
- Review applications for Fast Company recognition programs (Most Innovative Companies, Next Big Things in Tech) and make recommendations for coverage based on the best submissions
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Five or more years of experience writing, assigning and/or editing stories for a daily website
- Superior writing and editing skills, and an ability to conceive and package imaginative, innovative stories and find fresh angles that differentiate Fast Company from other sources of tech coverage
- A sophisticated understanding of the business dynamics at play in the tech world, with insight into the behaviors of major tech companies, startups, investors, and consumers
- Solid contacts within the tech industry, and the ability to make new ones as stories demand
- A strong point of view on how to engage and reach new readers
- The ability to juggle multiple projects under tight deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment, with exceptional organizational skills
- An established online presence through social media, a podcast, Substack, or some other platform, along with a strong point of view on how to engage and reach new audiences
To apply, go here.