dot.LA is the premier source of news and information for the Los Angeles technology and startup community. Launched in January 2020, dot.LA has quickly built a sizable audience and become an influential outlet publishing stories on Southern California’s expanding tech and business ecosystem.
The Sr. Editor works closely with the Managing Editor for News to plan and edit content for dot.LA. This includes helping manage dot.LA’s team of journalists and freelancers to create daily and enterprise stories and an editorial approach that serves and expands dot.LA’s audience.
The successful candidate will be able to thrive in a startup environment bringing their unique perspective into a crowded media space and a strategic understanding of our place in it.
The ideal candidate will be excited to “roll up their sleeves” and play different roles in a fast-paced newsroom, working alongside a team of reporters, editors, and social media producers. This person will play a crucial role in scaling a nascent but already successful news organization, and managing and growing a world-class team of seasoned journalists.
Superlative writing and editing ability, keen attention to detail, wise news judgment, and an exacting but empathetic management style are all also necessary for the successful performance of this role.
The Sr. Editor’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying and executing on news coverage: breaking, features, and special projects for specific beats (e.g, biotech, entertainment, finance)
- Helping develop and further the editorial strategy for dot.LA
- Helping oversee the story production and editing processes
- Overseeing the success of our articles by working closely with the Managing Editor of News and engagement team
- Identifying gaps in the editorial and journalistic strategies in place and taking action when needed
- Engaging with the non-journalistic part of the organization to provide support where needed, including helping with events, newsletters, columns, and other site content.
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in digital media, preferably covering tech
- 5+ years of experience of editorial experience
- 3+ years of experience of investigative journalism covering features
- Experience managing and guiding journalists
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
To apply, go here.