Defense One seeks tech reporter
Defense One has an immediate opening for a Technology Reporter/Editor based out of its Watergate headquarters.
Fulfilling Defense One’s mission to cover the new era of defense, this job requires a creative writer to cover rapidly advancing technologies, the people and organizations developing them, and how they are shaping national security policy and decisionmaking.
It’s a new beat meant to stretch from Silicon Valley to the Senate. This is not your father’s defense trade reporter job.
The Technology Reporter/Editor will have the opportunity to conceive and develop the brand’s “Technology” channel with strong reporting, writing, analyzing and editing skills, a keen eye for unique technology stories inside and outside the Beltway, the ability to recruit and manage outside contributor content, and participation in Defense One events.
This requires everything from short hits off of breaking news events to conceiving and creating in-depth magazine-style pieces taking us deep behind the glass.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
• At least 5 years of relevant experience
• A deep knowledge of the technology landscape and the ability to analyze, interpret and evaluate trends in defense technology
• Strong news judgment
• Quick and accurate editing/writing skills
• A strong work ethic and motivation to succeed
• Digital journalism experience
• Willingness to work scattered and often long hours, independently, with flexibility
• Experience and willingness to participate and lead Defense One brand events
• A positive, energetic attitude
• Force of Ideas — At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
• Spirit of Generosity — Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Please click here to apply. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and if available, sample clips. For more information about Defense One, please visit us at www.defenseone.com.