DC/Richmond Inno seeks a reporter
DC and Richmond Inno are digital media, events and data companies focused on local startups, technology and innovation.
DC Inno, founded in 2012, and Richmond Inno, founded in 2018, are part of the American Inno network, which currently has presence in Chicago, Boston, Austin, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Charlotte, Tampa, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Wisconsin and Rhode Island.
We are looking for a full-time writer to power both DC and Richmond Inno, writing and editing for both newsletters and sites, managing freelancers and establishing themselves as a leader in both tech and startup communities. Inno is the source for local innovation in all of its markets and DC and Richmond Inno need to add daily value to its readers through authoritative, original editorial, news and resources.
The Inno writer takes ownership of growing audience, authority and readership, covering and connecting the founders, executives, startups, businesses, topics and trends that drive and define the local ecosystems. (Inno is also active in our tech and startup communities and our writers are at meetups and events, participating in panels and networking).
We’re looking for a writer who can operate autonomously and is excited about the opportunity to be the editorial (and physical) face of both properties.
Inno is owned by the American City Business Journals, which owns 40+ business papers across the country, including the Washington Business Journal.
Please send a paragraph or two to Brent Wistrom (email@example.com) about why you think you’re the right fit for the position. Please add DC & Richmond Writer App to your subject line. We’re looking to fill this position asap.
An Inno Writer:
- Works hard and smart and respects their coworkers.
- Writes with authority and voice on the subject(s) he/she is covering in a fresh and engaging way, resonating with a young professional audience.
- Thinks creatively, developing original stories that increase our readership and improve our reputation.
- Engages readers on all relevant media, including video, email and photo, and is eager to experiment with new media as they arise. (An Inno writer wants to tell stories across multiple mediums.
- Is self-motivated and can identify, craft and distribute stories independently. Building a new local digital media property is an exciting opportunity that requires a individual that’s invested in its growth.
- Communicates well internally, ensuring the Inno editorial team is always up to date.
- Connects with people, cultivating relationships with sources who provide inside information and perspective.
- Earns readers’ trust with accuracy, timeliness and creativity.
- Understands the power of social media and is capable of using it to maximum benefit.
- Will work to become a part of the Atlanta tech community.
Success is Measured Using Three KPIs:
- Individual contribution to readership growth and authority: managers will set individual goals that are both quantitative and qualitative in nature.
- Collective goals for other media, including growth and engagement goals in newsletter, social media, and video.
- Volume of original stories.