Dallas Biz Journal seeks a senior reporter to cover real estate
The Dallas Business Journal newsroom is looking for a senior reporter to lead commercial coverage in our real estate vertical.
In one of the hottest economies in the country, this essential position delivers exclusive coverage that impacts our subscribers.
The commercial real estate beat is the essence of high-level reporting. It requires building — and working — strong source networks to uncover deals before anyone else, report both the dollar value and the broad impact of new projects. You will help our subscribers understand the deals impacting our market and introduce them to the investors, developers and brokers in North Texas — and how their new projects shape our region.
In this role, you:
- Deliver industry-leading business-to-business journalism
- Drive exclusive daily commercial real estate coverage for Dallas and Collin counties
- Scoop competitors on every story of significance, not only telling them what happened but why and how
- Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders
- Ignore incremental transactional news that has little value or can be found elsewhere
To deliver source-driven scoops, you will need to be a vigilant networker and relationship manager. Our best stories come from people, not press releases. You will break hard news that sometimes sources don’t want brought to light, but you never burn bridges.
As such, you must have the ability to determine whether a news item merits a brief, a full story, an in-depth investigation — or no coverage at all.
- Proven excellence in reporting and writing, including analytical and investigative pieces
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
- A clear drive to develop sources and build an audience
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the Business Journal from competitors
- Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving by digging out source-driven exclusives
- Report with authority and flair on short and longform stories across all platforms
- Routinely mine data and public records, as well as file FOIA requests, to drive enterprise reporting
- Three years or more of journalism experience
- Knowledge of the Texas real estate industry is a plus; genuine interest in commercial real estate is a must
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and story links to Editor-in-Chief Jeff Schnick at firstname.lastname@example.org.