Crain’s New York seeks a senior health care reporter
Crain’s New York Business is seeking a proactive, experienced journalist to join our health care team as a senior reporter. We’re seeking someone with his or her finger on the pulse of all facets of the business behind one of New York City’s most vibrant industries, from large public health systems to smaller metro-area private hospitals, from statewide policies to City Council decisions.
The senior health care reporter is part of a team that produces the digital Health Pulse newsletter Monday through Friday, reporting on the business of health care in the New York market. He or she will cover policy decisions in Albany and Washington, D.C., that affect local health systems, nonprofits, insurers, health startups and clinicians.
The ideal candidate has five or more years of business-writing experience, has a strong sense of curiosity, asks questions that editors hadn’t thought of and makes researched story pitches every day. The ideal candidate also has experience writing multiple stories a day on deadline. This is a full-time position in our Midtown office. Candidates with experience writing about health care business news are encouraged to apply.
At least twice a year, the reporter also will participate in planning and moderating health care events that draw large audiences. Experience moderating and programing panel discussions as well as Facebook live conversations is a huge plus. Must be comfortable speaking in front of an audience.
COVID UPDATE: Position will begin remote then work from midtown offices once safe to do so.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of experience in a professional newsroom
- Experience reporting for health care trade publications or working as a health care beat reporter for a general interest publication. Alternatively, a track record producing strong articles on health care topics as either a freelancer or staff reporter.
- Strong reporting skills and the ability to successfully juggle daily news requirements with producing longer-form articles on a regular basis
- Experience and comfort moderating panel discussions and being onstage in front of large groups.
- The ability to write multiple stories per day and hit all deadlines.
- Web-savvy, with experience building a newsletter and using a CMS.
- An enthusiastic self-starter who is bubbling with good story ideas but is also a team player
- Link to online portfolio or sample of recent and relevant work.
- Experience and/or interest in developing public speaking skills, as the team moderates panels for events and conducts Facebook Live interviews.
- Conference-planning experience would be a bonus.
- Experience using social media to promote the team’s stories.
To apply, go here.