Crain’s Cleveland seeks data editor
Crain’s Cleveland Business, the pre-eminent source for business news in Northeast Ohio, seeks a data editor to lead and elevate its data journalism.
The primary mission of the data editor is to dig deep into available business data to compile many of our high-profile research projects and lists. Crain’s business lists are a dynamic source of information for the Northeast Ohio community. The data editor is the point person for data projects across all platforms, including online, email, print and social.
- Helps direct data-driven enterprise stories, while also generating story ideas from market knowledge and trends gained through research duties.
- Surveys and analyzes a wide range of topics, from public-company performance, mergers and acquisitions and CEO pay to wealthiest ZIP codes and more.
- Gathers information for Lists and projects by directly surveying companies and via other research methods.
- Generates and produces, in coordination with the visual team, digital features based on data that include infographics and other elements to enhance online products.
- Writes or assigns any special reports for the weekly edition generated from research duties.
Candidates should possess strong news judgment, analysis and writing skills. A proven track record with data gathering and reporting, ideally with business news, is required.
Additionally, candidates must also:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree
- Have experience with computer data-management applications and a proven ability to work with databases and spreadsheets to find patterns and stories.
- Be self-motivated and exhibit the ability to juggle multiple projects in various stages of completion, while being attentive to detail.
- Demonstrate the ability to be conceptual, as the data editor works collaboratively with the editing team to brainstorm and execute new sections and other newsworthy products.
To apply, go here.