Crain’s Cleveland Business, the definitive source of news and information about Northeast Ohio businesses, is looking for an experienced reporter to own the residential real estate beat. This position will also include some coverage of general breaking business news.
You’ll be expected to provide wide-reaching coverage of all things residential real estate, from industry trends to issues related to affordable housing, to the stories behind the region’s most notable listings.
This reporter will be responsible for:
- Sourcing, reporting and writing impactful journalism – from breaking news to in-depth enterprise stories.
- Contributing daily stories that keep readers informed and engaged, while simultaneously working on deeper dives.
- Using metrics to understand our unique audience and making intentional, data-informed decisions.
- Maintaining a strong, foundational understanding of important topics and players in the local business community.
- Filing clean and accurate copy, often on tight deadlines.
- Sourcing or shooting photos to accompany stories.
- Helping plan programming for relevant Crain’s editorial events and participating in those events as needed.
Basic Qualifications and Preferences:
The ideal candidate will have an audience-centric mindset and the ability to identify and report great stories. We’re looking for an aggressive reporter who can cultivate sources, develop their own story ideas and write authoritatively on a wide range of subjects.
Applicants should have:
- At least three years of experience in a fast-paced, competitive newsroom.
- The drive and skills to break news.
- The ability to generate strong story ideas.
- An understanding of the crucial role metrics play as a tool in your toolkit.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field.
- A collaborative attitude.
- The ability to multitask.
- An understanding of financial and business terminology.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- The ability to work in the newsroom during standard office hours and, as needed, outside of those hours.
This full-time position will require occasional night and weekend hours. We offer a hybrid schedule, with in-office work expected three days a week. Participation in beat-related Crain’s events and programming is expected.
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Pay Transparency Disclosure:
The estimated salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000.
For more information click here.