Crain seeks deputy managing editor
Crain is looking for a talented, high-level editor with a strong sense of entrepreneurship and experience in both management and line-editing. Candidates must value innovation and be comfortable in a fast-paced, continually evolving environment. This editor will help shape strategies for content creation and must understand analytics to adjust workflow accordingly.
A history of writing and editing original copy and curated material is a must. Candidates should be media-savvy, voracious readers of national and local media and proficient in crafting messages on social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. This editor will write copy, plus supervise a staff and freelancers across time zones, enforcing the product identity and voice.
Experience in publish multimedia material, including audio, video and social media embeds is desirable. A product development background is a plus, though not necessary.
While previous experience in management is a plus, more important is being the bedrock for a staff in quickly changing environment. This editor will be a strong leader and a catalyst for that change as well. At its core, this is a 21st Century journalism job which values enterprise and new approaches to offering quality stories and information to new, high-value markets. At Crain, we empower success in our readers, the majority of whom are C-Suite executives and business decision makers.
• Editing and writing detailed copy across a variety of beats with efficiency
• Managing a network of disparate freelance writers and/or editors
• Uncovering newsworthy stories on business and national beats from websites, social media and other publicly-available sources of data;
• Reading analytics and reacting to lessons learned from them
• Brand management, maintaining editorial voice & quality control
• Drupal, WordPress or similar content management systems
• Creating and enforcing tagging taxonomy
• Closely collaborating with journalists, web developers, graphic designers
• Generating excitement for new products and being an enthusiastic brand ambassador
• Training staff in editorial workflow and sharing best practices
• Overseeing social media strategy
• Recruiting and developing new talent
• Working independently, within a team and collaborating with upper management
• Creating and sharing new, creative ideas internally
• Setting an editorial calendar, to anticipate trends and upcoming events/anniversaries/etc.
• Sending breaking news alerts and working quickly, as emergencies happen
• Writing high-value headlines and SEO proficient
• Maintaining relationships with content partners
To apply, go here.