Colorado Public Radio seeks business and economy reporter
The CPR News Business & Economy reporter covers the impact and trends in the state spurred by business and related activities. The reporter files for news magazines, newscasts, website, and other CPR News programming, with an emphasis on in-depth coverage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- CPR’s Business & Economy reporter covers the topics and trends that shape Colorado’s economy including companies of all sizes both private and public and issues affecting the state’s workforce. The diverse and dynamic economic drivers include businesses of all sizes with a specific focus on technology companies, small business & entrepreneurs and the energy industry. In addition, more established traditional contributors to the state’s economy such as agriculture and health care. Crime trends can also contribute to the economic realities of the state. The reporter will emphasize the human stories behind the drivers, and the effects trends have on people’s lives.
- The Business reporter will establish a broad range of sources and contacts to provide for coverage of state and local business and employment issues while also addressing how national economic policy plays out in the state. The reporter will create a statewide presence for the beat.
- The reporter will use data skills to track important economic patterns and identify significant trends. They will collaborate with the digital desk to coordinate ways to use data/graphics to tell these stories online. They will also pursue investigative work in the beat to uncover distinctive stories.
- The reporter researches, writes, reports, edits, and voices a wide variety of stories and series for morning and afternoon news magazines and periodically for Colorado Matters. Provides soundbites, wraps and voicers for hourly newscasts, and produces interviews for Colorado Matters.
- Contributes to CPR News website, including audio, text, extended interviews, photos, etc. Contributes to CPR’s social media platforms.
- Serves as a resource for the News Department on business and economic issues – identifying sources, opportunities for additional coverage, etc.
- Participates in all assigned fundraising and outreach activities, on air and off.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Available to work during non-standard working hours and weekend on-call shifts, as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- At least three years experience covering a beat for a daily news organization.
- Experience covering business news preferred.
- Experience in public radio preferred.
- Data analysis skills are preferred.
- High-level writing and editing skills, demonstrated ability to identify key developments and distill complex matters.
- Understanding and presence on social media for reporting and promoting stories as well as engaging with audience.
Position is based in Denver.
This position requires working non-standard hours from time to time and some travel.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with “Business & Economy Reporter” in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.