Business Insider is looking for an experienced reporter to cover the business of health care, focused on major drugmakers in Europe.
It’s a time of big challenges for the industry, creating lots of opportunities for an ambitious reporter to make a mark in this role. The coronavirus pandemic has forced doctors and hospitals to rethink how they care for patients, and how they make money. Meanwhile, tech giants, retailers, and private-equity-backed upstarts are all competing to offer patients new ways to get care. Political developments in Europe and the 2020 U.S. election could bring vast changes to the entire system.
We value coverage that makes an impact. Our reporting has already forced insurers to change their policies in the U.S., giving sick kids access to life-saving drugs. We revealed how drug companies in the U.S. teamed up to raise the cost of your medicines, and raised big questions about prescribing practices at a buzzy online Viagra seller. As the poop-testing startup uBiome disintegrated in the wake of an FBI raid, we had the inside story. And we’ve made a mark with deep reporting on trends like the rise of digital therapeutics and the advent of million-dollar drugs.
We’re looking for someone who can deliver major stories like these, break news, and get the real story on what’s going on inside major players in the industry, such as big pharmaceutical companies, biotechs, and startups focused on healthcare and digital health.
The job requires traditional beat reporting, investigative work, and analysis. A successful reporter in this role will spend a lot of time with executives, investors, and patients to get the inside story of how the health care industry is evolving, and then be able to convey that to our readers in an engaging manner. The reporter will be working very closely with the US team.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Experience reporting on health care or a similar industry
- A track record of breaking news that matters on a competitive beat
- The ability to work quickly and independently
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to deliver both scoops and deeper analytical stories
- An interest in using different formats (lists, charts, narratives) to tell stories in the most effective way
- The passion to go the extra mile to deliver stories for our readers that they can’t find anywhere else
To apply, go here.