Boston Globe seeks metro editor
The Boston Globe is hiring a deputy metro editor, a pivotal leadership role helping oversee metro coverage for New England’s largest newsroom.
The deputy editor will be the second-in-command for the Globe’s largest and most widely read department, assisting the deputy managing editor for local news in crafting a sophisticated and engaging report for Greater Boston and its nearly 5 million residents.
The editor will also help apply a watchdog lens to the Globe’s coverage by producing in-depth features, groundbreaking investigations, and sterling beat coverage that holds the region’s powerful accountable and reflects the diversity of the region.
The editor will also have a superior touch with copy and reliably deliver stories with nuance, sensitivity, creativity, and humor.
- An excellent journalist who can think creatively about how to approach stories, beats, and coverage
- A skilled wordsmith, an innovative thinker, a newshound who thrives on breaking stories and can own a competitive, ongoing news cycle and an empathetic leader
- At least 7 years’ experience covering local news as a reporter and editor
- At least 2 years management experience, including directing beat coverage and overseeing reporters
- Proven experience managing diverse digital teams to successful results
- Comfortable with change and working within a dynamic team environment
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
- An organized manager who keeps budgets updated and stories on deadline
- A savvy editor comfortable with user analytics