Boston Globe seeks deputy metro editor
The Boston Globe is hiring a deputy metro editor, a pivotal leadership role helping oversee metro coverage for New England’s largest newsroom.
The deputy editor will be the second-in-command for the Globe’s largest and most widely read department, assisting the deputy managing editor for local news in crafting a sophisticated and engaging report for Greater Boston and its nearly 5 million residents. Additionally, the editor will help apply a watchdog lens to the coverage by producing in-depth features, groundbreaking investigations, and sterling beat coverage.
- An excellent journalist who can think creatively about how to approach stories, beats, and coverage
- A skilled wordsmith who consistently shapes copy and elevates stories that can be the cornerstone of daily coverage
- An innovative thinker who spots original angles in the news and has a knack for finding hidden gems that turn into captivating stories
- A creative storyteller who is platform-agnostic
- A newshound who thrives on breaking stories and can own a competitive, ongoing news cycle
- An empathetic leader who encourages and nurtures reporters and gets the best out of a wide array of journalists.
- Someone who believes deeply in the Globe’s commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, both in coverage and the workplace
- A savvy editor comfortable with user analytics and working in a fast-paced digital publishing environment
- An organized manager who keeps budgets updated and stories on deadline
- At least 7 years’ experience covering local news as a reporter and editor
- At least 2 years management experience, including directing beat coverage and overseeing reporters
- Proven experience managing diverse digital teams to successful results.
- Comfortable with change and working within a dynamic team environment
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment