The Boston Globe is hiring a Climate Science Editor to cover the climate crisis, directly overseeing a team of three reporters and working collaboratively across the entire newsroom to drive an urgent public conversation in our city and region. This person will be instrumental in highlighting complex scientific concepts related to carbon management, climate change, renewable energy, and sustainability practices.
The editor will be responsible for conceiving and editing stories that cast the crisis as a matter of urgent public interest and bring the issue to readers in fresh, creative, and meaningful ways. This position will put a premium on original thinking, accountability reporting, and an eye for good storytelling.
The position is part of a newsroom-wide push for climate coverage that reduces the scale of the global crisis, viewing it through a sharply focused regional lens. Highlighting the obstacles that Boston and New England face in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, examining emerging solutions, and holding leaders to account will be a core mission. The climate team will shine a light on social justice issues related to climate, including the unequal effect on neighborhoods and communities. In every instance, this editor will find ways to make ambitious climate stories resonate with a broad audience using data, visuals, and narrative forms of storytelling.
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience as a science or climate journalist for a daily newspaper, magazine, or scientific publication, preferably in an editing position.
- A network of editorial contributors in climate, justice, and/or science-focused journalism
- Ability to translate and humanize specialized information to grab a general audience.
- Experience with accountability reporting.
- An enterprising spirit that lets you see stories that others miss and imagine new, more compelling ways to tell them.
- Ability to work effectively with data.
- Comfortable working across cross-disciplinary teams to drive exceptional coverage.
- Proven success juggling assignments and handling short-term projects while hammering away at longer-term stories.
- Ensure all story statuses, documents, and assets are up to date to support team-wide editorial workflow.
- Optimize stories for SEO. Integrate feedback and develop a strategy to ambitiously expand engagement and readership for stories.
- Ensure stories are factually accurate and have been verified by the Globe’s fact-checking policies and procedures.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
For further information click here.