Bloomberg seeks a fuel markets reporter in Houston
Bloomberg LP has built a significant media business spanning television, digital, magazine, radio and live event platforms across the globe. In the midst of a historic time in the media industry, Bloomberg Media is growing its global footprint and reach through new innovations from Quicktake to New Economy to our rapidly growing consumer subscription business.
We are looking for an experienced and dogged reporter to join our Oil Trading Americas team to help cover the most important and widely traded commodity in the world. This person will be responsible for explaining to our readers what’s really behind the wild gyrations in markets that affect everything from national economies to the price you pay to fill your gasoline tank; deliver the goods on who is making money — and who is losing it — when international diplomacy breaks down or OPEC shuts off global oil taps; and regularly break news on trading desks opening and closing.
You’ll need to have:
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an uncanny ability to network within banks and hedge funds and keep tabs on newcomer investors piling money into derivatives markets with the hopes of cashing in on a boom in commodities. You will pierce the veil on opaque markets to break news on what money managers, producers, refiners and banks are trading. Your reporting is expected to move markets and yield in-depth pieces that move beyond oil and give our readers an idea of how investors are betting on the commodities complex as a whole.
You’ll be expected to perform independently at the highest standards, while also enthusiastically supporting team efforts and collaborating across teams and regions.
We’ll trust you to:
- Develop a strong network of financial commodities sources that you will leverage daily to give our readers a sense of what’s happening in markets.
- Explore large options, swaps, and other derivative trades and what or who is behind them.
- Find out who is getting hired and fired at oil, energy and commodities trading houses.
- Craft coverage for both expert Bloomberg clients and a broader readership.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues on the team, across other teams and around the globe.
To apply, go here.