Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in New York. You should have a broad interest in all kinds of news from around the world, with the ability to digest surprises quickly and tell the real-time client what they need to know, now. You embrace challenges, can make split-second decisions, thrive in a fast-paced environment and are an effective communicator across a global newsroom.
As first responders to news both expected and not, you will be lightning fast and innovative on anticipating where and how news will break next. You must be adept at navigating various sources of information, especially social media, with an awareness of the advantages and pitfalls of each. You’ll need to be sensitive to the needs of equities-focused clients in particular, and ensure that Bloomberg is covered on anything that may move stock prices and macro markets. You will also take the initiative to discover breaking news wherever it occurs, by leveraging your expertise and the exciting technologies available at Bloomberg.
WE’LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, government news, general news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Utilize machine-learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, explaining why news matters
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Strong familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments
WE’D ALSO LOVE TO SEE:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Fluency in another language is a plus
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing is a plus
To apply, go here.