Bloomberg Government is hiring a deputy team leader for its newsletter team. You’ll lead the first part of the day, overseeing publication of a suite of policy and Congress-focused newsletters that are must-reads for our subscriber and consumer audiences. You’ll be part of a team that is creative and breaks news on Congress and policy across Washington. You’ll have a keen eye for detail and strong news judgement with an ability to work both independently and as a key leader on the team. You’ll have opportunities to experiment and bring to fruition your ideas on evolving our newsletters and will work with our reporters on enterprise stories that go beyond the day’s news and connect dots for our readers.
What you will do:
- Be a newsroom leader. Yes we produce great journalism, but what makes it possible is our culture and our people. Your job is strengthening both.
- Monitor the daily flow of news, and ensure quality standards remain high. Coordinate not only your team of reporters and editors, but understand what’s happening in the rest of the newsroom and ensure that we’re covering major developments from all relevant angles.
- You’ll collaborate with our legislative analyst, podcast, broadcast, visual and data colleagues and will be encouraged to bring your creativity to how we tell stories.
You need to have:
- Exceptional curiosity and news judgment to make assignments and set the team’s agenda, from daily coverage to longer term targets.
- Top-notch editing skills and the ability to make a story shine, provide constructive feedback, and help editors communicate in a similar way. Knowledge of what our readers need and what coverage will resonate.
- Ability to adapt to new technology and tools, as well as excellent organizational skills to track reporter/editor availability, prioritize resources on a daily and weekly basis, and analyze data to help inform coverage decisions.
- Courage to make tough decisions in the moment as news breaks, learn from mistakes, and adjust as needed. Educate reporters and editors about newsroom goals and help them create the best possible stories on their beat.
- Be a self-starter who sets high standards and leads by personal example. You will need to think big and challenge your team to do the same.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in journalism or equivalent experience.
- Five-or-more years of experience in journalism, with demonstrated success producing excellent and ambitious stories.
For more information click here.