Big Issue is looking for an audience engagement editor to join our growing team. The new audience engagement editor will play a key part in increasing the Big Issue’s engaged and unique online presence.
We are looking for someone with flawless editorial skills that will take headlines from good to great, write tight and enticing email subject lines, understand how data informs editorial decisions and find innovative ways to reach new and existing audiences. The Big Issue is a multi-platform publisher and the new audience engagement editor will be involved in preparing output across all Big Issue channels.
This is a crucial role to ensure the growth of the Big Issue’s editorial reputation as a leading voice in social activism and a destination for anyone looking to understand and take action on the big social issues affecting modern Britain.
- Using your exceptional technical skills, knowledge and judgement to ensure the Big Issue maintains the highest editorial standards across all channels: on BigIssue.com, social media, content aggregators, in newsletters, push notifications, and print, and on any other platforms where the Big Issue meets and serves its audience
- Thinking creatively about the news agenda to discover stories and angles competitors have missed
- Develop strategies with other editors to increase the reach and audience engagement of editorial content
- Producing audience reports using analytical tools in partnership with other editors and providing insight into audience development for senior management
- Guiding reporters and freelancers to produce articles which grow the engaged audience at BigIssue.com and make the Big Issue part of the national conversation on the big stories of the day
- Using all the tools in the box to help Big Issue editorial content reach its fullest potential: content analytics, SEO, social media, multimedia, content aggregators, data visualisation, newsletters, push notifications, professional relationships, and any other platforms and strategies which may arise
- Working with the Big Issue magazine production team and deputy editor to ensure content transitions effectively between platforms
- Deputising for the digital editor when required by leading news meetings and managing staff
- At least five years’ experience in a newsroom, magazine or similar publication in an editorial or production role, either as a reporter or editor
- Experience with processes and strategies for audience engagement and digital production
- Knowledge of keyword research, SEO best practices, social media optimisation, community engagement strategies and content analytics platforms
- Experience managing staff in an editorial setting
- Impeccable copy-editing skills
- Exceptional news judgement
- Ability to react to and anticipate audience interests
- Skill in using data to understand and explain audience trends
- Experience using social media platforms to find and connect with communities
- A flair for headlines and an eye for pictures
- Great attention to detail
- Thrives in a tight deadline environment
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- First-rate communication skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Willing to work flexible hours
This role will be based at either our Big Issue office in London (Finsbury Park office) or in Glasgow.
Salary: £35,000 to £38,000
Closing date: 21 February 2023
For more details click here.