We are looking to fill one of the most exciting perches in technology and science journalism: the editor of Future Tense, a cross-disciplinary section of Slate Magazine that is a collaboration between Slate, Arizona State University, and New America. In addition to being part of Slate’s editorial team, the editor will also be a member of Arizona State University’s community, and will be employed by the university.
This editor should have a strong editorial background, and ideally some subject-area expertise. We’ll expect big ideas and conceptual scoops that start new conversations, as well as vibrant daily analysis and mid-sized arguments that make sense of science and technology news as it happens. This editor will ideally have experience coaxing great arguments and pieces out of academics and nontraditional writers, alongside assigning for journalists.
Given Future Tense’s unique structure as a university/media/think tank partnership, this editor must also be excited to engage, and collaborate, with academic colleagues and policy experts. We’re looking for a team player able to contribute to three teams.
- Edit multiple stories per week for Slate’s Future Tense section, including quick-turn daily pieces, medium-length arguments, reported features, and long-form essays.
- Motivating writers and cultivating new freelancers
- Work closely with Slate editors, particularly in the business, technology, and science sections to coordinate coverage
- Work closely with ASU’s Future Tense Editorial Director in ensuring that Future Tense remains connected to ASU’s Center for Science and the Imagination and other academic units, as well as with New America’s policy programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment and five (5) years of related experience; OR, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working as an editor, preferably with online experience (5 years)
- Experience managing and cultivating writers
- Experience leading something, be it big or small.
- Evidence of effective communication and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of news writing, editing and distribution of news and feature releases.
- Experience in writing, editing, and other aspects of publication work.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with professional organizations, media, university administrators, faculty and staff.
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to tight deadlines which often includes conflicting priorities.
Salary Range: $130,000-$160,000 per year; DOE
Close Date: 29-March-2023. Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
For further details click here.