Delaware Business Times seeks senior business reporter
This staff writer position offers the opportunity to cover Delaware’s business stories, including trends and profiles of the companies and people in the Delaware business landscape.
We are looking for a reporter eager to tackle stories in the form of features, hard news stories and briefs for the bi-weekly print publication, and contribute daily stories to our website and daily newsletter.
Delaware Business Times is a leading voice in covering stories from sectors including health care, education, nonprofits, banking and finance, manufacturing, real estate, start-ups, legislation, and small business. We look for their impact on residents and the business community.
- Find stories as they emerge, and help readers understand why the news matters to them.
- Write engaging, original and thoroughly reported stories that not only break news, but demonstrate critical thinking about the topic.
- Develop a wide range of sources, and work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Report over multiple channels, including print, www.DelawareBusinessTimes.com, and social media.
- Think visually and coordinate with the design and photography departments.
- Bring energy and ideas to the Delaware Business Times editorial team.
- (A minimum of a) Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent, related experience is preferred.
- The senior writer should have a willingness to look beyond the job description, stay positive amid deadline pressures, and be open to constructive criticism, and deadline-driven.
- Knowledge of the state of Delaware, the legislature, and business community
- Skilled at anticipating events and putting together stories that connect the dots and explain to our readers why these events are important
- Experience reporting and writing for major regional publications, print or online
- The position requires a curious, resourceful reporter who can find fresh stories balanced with appropriate news judgment.
- Excellent writing skills and a contemporary, intelligent voice
- The ability to shift from short online pieces to longer feature stories
- Willingness to embrace a workload that includes quick-turn stories and features. Your byline should appear at least 3 to 5 times in the print publication
- An understanding of digital storytelling, production and analytics
- Copy editing experience and knowledge of AP style
- Experience with social media
Please include a resume and attach at least two writing samples.
To apply, go here.