Crain’s Chicago seeks a health care reporter
Crain’s Chicago Business is seeking an ambitious and knowledgeable reporter to take on one of the publication’s core beats: health care.
The full-time staff reporter will play the lead role in producing an inside-industry newsletter; the reporter will write daily for this email, providing subscribers with health care news before the competition.
As well, the reporter will write breaking news for Crain’s website, and analytical trend and enterprise pieces for the weekly print issue. The reporter also will take the lead on programming live health care events and advise Crain’s custom media on an as-needed basis.
The beat’s primary subjects: Hospitals, physicians practices, health insurance providers, regulators, pharmaceutical and medical products makers, academic institutions, and biotech startups in the metro Chicago market. Across all of them, the health care reporter must focus on the business of health care.
The reporter must be a self-starter and curious, and be able develop sources, multitask, and work closely with Crain’s editors.
- 3 + years of experience in business journalism
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or the arts
- Skilled at generating story ideas, writing cleanly and coherently, developing sources, breaking news, and working quickly with minimum supervision
- Experience writing for all platforms: digital, print, newsletters
- Experience writing analytical trend and enterprise pieces as well as breaking news stories
- Must understand financial and business terminology
- Ability to travel as needed within metro Chicago
- Ability to work in newsroom during standard office hours and as needed outside of those hours
- Portfolio / examples of recent and relevant work which demonstrates business journalism experience
- Background covering health care beat in Chicago or a wealth of information on health care in Chicago
- A deep contact list in the industry
- An obvious familiarity with ChicagoBusiness.com and Crain’s Chicago Business: what and who we cover
- The more scoops you’ve generated in your current job or previous jobs, the better
- Proficiency in Excel
- Knowledge of and/or experience with a Bloomberg terminal
- Law degree or MBA would be a plus
- Background of programming live events and advising custom media teams
To apply, go here.