Wall Street Journal kills its What’s News app
The Wall Street Journal is shutting down its What’s News digest app, reports Joseph Lichterman of Nieman Lab.
Lichterman writes, “The Journal is currently in the process of revamping its main news app, and it plans to introduce features it developed for What’s News into the main app.
“The What’s News app — named for the Journal’s daily front-page briefs — launched in the summer of 2015 as the paper’s first mobile-only product. The app features a swipe-heavy design with a select 10 news stories at a time (plus some opinion). It’s updated regularly throughout each weekday, puts stories in quick summary form, uses custom headlines distinct from those on WSJ.com, and allows users to follow specific news topics. Access to the app was included as part of a subscription to the Journal. The Journal said the app had been downloaded more than 110,000 times; it will cease publishing on June 30.
“Prior to the app’s launch, deputy editor-in-chief Matt Murray told my colleague Shan Wang that the What’s News app was the result of a concerted effort from the Journal’s news desk to become mobile-first.”
Read more here.