Business Insider drops comments from articles

Chris Roush is the Walter E. Hussman Sr. Distinguished Professor in business journalism at UNC-Chapel Hill. He is a former business journalist for Bloomberg News, Businessweek, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The Tampa Tribune and the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. He is the author of the leading business reporting textbook "Show me the Money: Writing Business and Economics Stories for Mass Communication" and "Thinking Things Over," a biography of former Wall Street Journal editor Vermont Royster.

1. chuck says:

the comments were the only reason i went to that site!!

• Scott says:

I agree. Business Insider owes 100% of its success to normal people commenting on each article. Yeah the titles and articles were click baity, but the comments were great! Anytime a site closes/restricts comments, it’s because they are terrified they can’t control the narrative.

2. Yeah… “The value of our comments section has diminished” It especially diminished when the majority of readers started calling out Bullshit in their articles. Their writers got hurt, and needed to find a safe space to hide. “Help… I’ve been Triggered by our readers” they would cry, as they rushed down the hall, looking for a nice dark padded closet in which to cower and recover.

• mark sanders says:

I’m sorry I can’t tell those republican commenters to go fuck themselves anymore

• djrichard says:

I liked BI because of their commenting section in particular. No preaching to the choir in there. Everybody was forced to sell their thinking and it really honed what I believed in (and didn’t believe in).

And I like to think that some of the BI authors were interested in what we had to say. How hard it must be, to be a writer at BI and navigate between what you’re being asked to sell and actually communicating with your audience. You could sense how some of the writers were trying to dance between the two.

Oh well, those days are over. Now their job is simpler. Sell it, sell it, sell it. I feel sorry for them.

• Rimrock says:

Nail on the head! Their tiny lib minds couldn’t take it anymore. I suggest boycotting them. And, fuck you sanders! Ha!

• NickMotora says:

Agree. Sort of saw it coming … as they tested the waters with turning off comments for selected (the real B.S. ones) articles. These likely articles complying with the political agenda of those that are most influential with the new owners of the company.

3. Quin says:

I noticed this happened the day after the election. I suspect they wanted to censor the Trump voters because their staff and owner are BIG Libs and didn’t want to hear it. Too bad, I will not be visiting their site anymore as a result. Was kind of tired of all the politics on the site because it was one sided – Good Hillary (no analysis of WikiLeaks) and Bad Trump. Would rather read Business Stories instead.

4. NWCYNIC says:

BI is now funded/owned by Bezos and Bezos didn’t want the conservatives to have a voice/platform anymore.

If you follow the money – Soros, Bezos, etc – all the libertards have bought up massive blocks of not only MSM but all the alternative media – which drives their “message monopoly” agenda.

Continued censorship of the non-liberal voice.

5. billrcb says:

this was the worst decision. ridiculous. someone needs to create a BI competitor that has a commnet section. you can steal their whole business easily now. comments was by far the best part of BI. It made BI. if anything you should drop the articles.

seriously.

• billrcb says:

I am struggling to go to BI anymore. I am still going but its just not the same and I find I go less and care less.

BI sucks now

It was the best

The comment section got a little crazier during the election. so what.

bring it back

6. NickMotora says:

While it’s true that many comments were in poor taste. Some had immense value – more so than the article in a significant number of cases. Without the astute (sometimes biting) comments of a couple of great readers BI is just another propaganda outlet. I’ve almost completely stopped going to the site/reading articles these days.

7. GLL says:

Corporate media has decided censorship is the best way to squash the peasants. This is not going to end well for them. They will lose audience and clicks and disappear without participation.

8. AsokAsus says:

I have a mental list of sites that don’t allow comments: I never click on those sites.

• Scott says:

Exactly. Why read an article ONLINE if you can’t write a comment about it? You want me to read? Let me DISCUSS! If you don’t want my voice heard, I won’t read your words.

9. mandrox says:

It was rare that a comment flagged was ever removed by BI.
    The articles did seem to be quite biased toward companies like Apple.
    It was also rare to find any worthwhile information in many of the articles. When I commented that they seem to use unflattering pics of Trump all the time, but when the one time saw that they used an unflattering pic of HRC, which “trumped” all the ones of Trump. My comment was removed and the pic of HRC also.
    But I agree with the majority here, I came for the comments. I admit, leading up to the election, there was a lot of crappy comments, but if BI would respond to the “flagged” comments, and remove them, they may still have comments. I think they were behind the time and were not using automated filtering to get rid of the really bad comments. Kind of lame for a “Silicon Valley” wag.

10. Sheriff John Bunnell says:

The comment section was the main reason I went to BI. I’m not going there just to read their cheap, clickbait journalism.

11. Vincent says:

Really sad to see the comments disappear.
    I am looking for an alternative to BI now…
    goodbye !

12. Lerts says:

This was done to prevent truther facts from spreading. Seriously, do the research and you will see. All these sites like BI, CNBC etc.. are doing it because there has been a chain of hacktivists posting actual facts about total criminal behavior by banks and governments.

13. law says:

I went to most of these site for the comments. I rather go to alternative news now where free speech is not censored.

14. Yo Mamaa says:

Deleting Business insider link right now

15. Fabrice says:

The founder of Business Insider was a financial analyst who was heavily fined for fake reports on dot.com companies, hence, he’s just keeping on making faking reports without the possibility for readers to write any post and without any fine, on the contrary, the fact that Business Insider is by now just another powerful toool of Western mass media mainstream ( an ongoing bunch of lies in favour of the ruling elites!! ) will make him richer!!
    Just another presstitute!!

Shame on him!!!!

All the best!

Fabrice, greetings from Italy.

PS they have openen up the Italian version of Business Insider and it’s totally shit, just ongoing propaganda for the European and Italian ruling elites!!

16. Chucky says:

It’s pretty obvious why BI disabled comments, same as the Clinton News Network (CNN). They were unable to handle the truth in the comments section which was in direct contrast to their fake news propaganda articles full of lies. There were brilliant comments which exposed them for who they are: typical lying mainstream media new world order drivel.

17. chris Long says:

Maybe it was for Rookie BI writers calling carriers “aircraft characters” and getting called out on it !

Some of the mistakes were laughable. BI used to put me on Probation a lot for disagreeing.

18. chris Long says: