Reuters postpones website paywall
Reuters News postponed the launch of its website paywall following a dispute with financial data provider Refinitiv over whether the move would breach a news supply agreement between the two companies, reports Kenneth Li of Reuters.
Li reports, “Reuters, a unit of Thomson Reuters Corp, had been planning to start charging for news on Reuters.com from June 1. It was not immediately clear how long the delay would last.
“In a staff meeting on Thursday, Reuters Editor-in-Chief Alessandra Galloni confirmed that the news agency had paused the launch of the website paywall as well as the introduction of a new legal news section on the website, while discussions with Refinitiv to resolve the dispute were ongoing.
“In a statement, a Reuters spokesman said, ‘We are still working through our plans for the relaunch of Reuters.com as a subscription service.’ Discussions with Refinitiv were ‘about our business approach and products, and how we can enhance our offer to all customers,’ the spokesman said.”
Read more here.