Politico launches Protocol, which will cover tech
Politico announced Tuesday that it was launching Protocol, which will cover the people, power and politics of technology.
It will launch in early 2020.
Protocol has hired a dozen journalists, including:
- Editorial director Emily Dreyfuss and managing editor Joanna Pearlstein, both from Wired;
- Editor-at-large David Pierce, a veteran of The Verge, Wired and, most recently, The Wall Street Journal;
- Head of digital Vivyan Tran, who has worked at The Wall Street Journal, National Journal, and Politico;
- Newsletter editor Jamie Condliffe, who edited The New York Times’s Dealbook newsletter and authored the Bits newsletter;
- Senior editor Mario Aguilar, Gizmodo’s former deputy editor;
- Associate editor Kevin McAllister, from The Wall Street Journal;
- Contributing Editor Linda Kinstler, formerly an editor at the New Republic and Politico’s European edition;
- Reporters Matt Drange (The Information), Adam Janofsky (The Wall Street Journal), Emma Johanningsmeier (former editor of The Fountain Hopper at Stanford University), Issie Lapowsky (Wired), and Charles Levinson (Reuters).
Tammy Wincup, a former senior advisor at private equity firm TPG’s The Rise Fund and former chief operating officer at leading education technology company EVERFI, has joined Protocol as president to build and run the new venture.
Wincup brings more than 25 years of experience at the intersection of technology innovation, subscription business models, and public policy.
Tim Grieve, who was the founding editor of Politico Pro, will serve as Protocol’s executive editor, overseeing a team of more than 30 technology journalists located in San Francisco, New York, London, and Washington. Grieve was most recently the vice president of news at McClatchy.
“It’s an incredible privilege to build a new media company without the constraints of legacy thinking or preconceived notions of what tech coverage should be,” Grieve said. “We’re assembling a team of journalists who are committed to creating unbiased, intelligent and actionable journalism around what’s arguably the biggest story of our time.”