NYFWA names scholarship winners
The New York Financial Writers’ Association has revealed the winners of its 2020 annual scholarships for aspiring financial journalists.
“We are happy that, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, we are still able to give out scholarships this year and help these students achieve their educational goals,” said Stephen Foley, deputy U.S. news editor for the Financial Times, who chairs the NYFWA scholarship committee. “We had a pool of particularly strong applicants this year and their work was very impressive. We are excited to watch their careers unfold in the future and have no doubt that many of these students will have a real impact on the future of financial journalism.”
This year the NYFWA awarded $15,000 in scholarships of $3,000 each to a group of students from New York City-area schools. The winners of this year’s scholarships are:
- Ayse Kelce, CUNY Baruch College, winner of the George Auerbach Scholarship
- Orla McCaffrey, Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, winner of the Clare Reckert Scholarship
- Hannah Miller, Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, winner of the Stan Strachan Scholarship
- Marta Orosz, New York University, winner of the Dorothea Brooks Scholarship
- Olivia Raimonde, Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, winner of the Herbert & Charles Koshetz Scholarship
The NYFWA has awarded scholarships every year since 1976, when it gave out its initial scholarship for $500 in honor of Maurice Feldman, a public relations professional beloved by generations of reporters. Scholarships awarded are in honor of longtime NYFWA members who made significant contributions to both the organization and the world of financial journalism. Over the past decade alone, the NYFWA has given out in excess of $300,000 in scholarships to area students.
In addition to the monetary awards, the students also receive a free year of membership in the NYFWA.
Due to COVID-19, this year’s scholarships could not be presented in person. NYFWA will, however, be featuring short videos about each of the winners on the NYFWA website.