City University of London is collaborating with Bloomberg and the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media to take part in a Business Journalism Diversity Program this summer.
The virtual scheme aimed at U.K. university students will run from June 21 to June 25, 2021. Successful applicants will explore how journalists report effectively on the economy, companies, financial and commodity markets, government and labor where wealth and power converge.
Bloomberg journalists and executives along with faculty members from City and Hussman will teach courses.
What you will learn?
- Acquire a basic overview of markets and financial concepts
- Learn the fundamentals of business journalism, one of the most in-demand fields in media today
- Practice writing and reporting techniques via hands-on instruction with Bloomberg journalists
- Gain insights on working in a diverse environment and the importance of representation in journalism
- Join an accomplished group of fellow students and program alumni who will serve as mentors as you navigate your career path
Dr. Paul Lashmar, head of the Department of Journalism at City said:
“Giving UK undergraduates and recent graduates from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to learn about business journalism, where there is a real demand for quality reporters, is something the Department of Journalism at City is delighted to do.
“We are proud to work with our partners, Bloomberg, and the UNC Hussman School of Journalism in the States, to provide this wonderful introduction to the exciting world of journalism.”
Who should apply?
- Applicants must be a degree-seeking student at a university in the United Kingdom
- University students who have demonstrated a strong interest in pursuing a career in journalism and want to be exposed to the world of business journalism. A background in business or business journalism is not required
- Incoming undergraduate second year and above are eligible to apply. Graduating bachelor’s students (Summer 2021) are also welcome
- The deadline for applications is: Tuesday, 22nd March 2021.
- Students interested in the program should complete an online application.
The following materials must be uploaded as part of the application:
- A curriculum vitaeAn unofficial transcript of grades so far
- One writing sample (500 words): Identify your professional role model in journalism. What attributes do you admire most about this person and why?
- Contact information for one academic reference.
Finalists will be contacted for an interview via video conferencing after the application closing date.