Peter Thal Larsen, global editor of Reuters Breakingviews, sent out the following to the staff:
Comrades, I’m delighted to share with you some exciting changes to the Breakingviews team:
- Francesco Guerrera is joining us as Global Economics Editor. Francesco is an experienced journalist with a stellar record of breaking news, writing incisive commentary, and building online audiences. He’s currently Deputy Editor of La Repubblica, the Italian newspaper, Previously he held senior positions at the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, Politico and Dow Jones Media Group. He has lived and worked in London, Brussels, Hong Kong, New York and Rome. Francesco will relocate to London and start work in the second half of November.
- Una Galani is appointed Asia Editor. Una has spent the last five years successfully putting Breakingviews on the map in India from Mumbai, while helping shape coverage across the region as Associate Editor. She previously spent four years as an editor and columnist in Hong Kong, setting the agenda on the financial hub’s capital markets, M&A deals, and its tycoons. She also penned a series of hard-hitting columns on Malaysia’s sovereign fund scandal. Una previously worked in Dubai and London. She’ll start her new role in Mumbai.
- George Hay is appointed EMEA Editor. For the last five years George has spearheaded coverage of energy, commodities and climate change as Associate Editor based in London. He previously covered banking and financial services during and after the 2008 crisis, first as a columnist and then as European Financial Editor.
- Jeffrey Goldfarb is appointed Global Corporate Finance Editor. Based in New York, he will coordinate coverage of big companies and the ways they interact with the world of finance, including a weekly column to showcase our best agenda-setting ideas from around the world. Jeff was previously Asia Editor in Hong Kong and Melbourne, and before that U.S. editor in New York.
- Lisa Jucca is appointed Associate Editor and European Business Editor. Lisa has spent the past five years as a columnist based in Milan covering topics ranging from Italian politics and finance to the global luxury goods industry, European taxes, and sanctions. In nearly 25 years at Reuters Lisa has also worked in Brussels, Zurich, and Hong Kong.
- Liam Proud is appointed Associate Editor. Liam has been at Breakingviews for six years, most recently spearheading our coverage of the core topic of European banking and finance. He previously covered industries including technology and telecoms.
- Last but not least, Hugo Dixon is returning to Reuters as Commentator-at-Large. He will write a weekly column where he will tackle the big questions facing the world at the intersection of geopolitics, markets, business, society and the environment. Hugo was the founding chair and editor-in-chief of Breakingviews. He subsequently founded InFacts, a journalistic enterprise making the case against Brexit, and most recently helped persuade the G7 to adopt a plan to help the Global South accelerate its transition to net zero.
Please join me in congratulating Francesco, Una, Jeff, George, Lisa and Liam on their new roles, and in welcoming Hugo back to Breakingviews.
All the best, PTL