Modern Healthcare, the leading source of health care business news, is looking for a highly motivated, news-driven deputy editor to grow our audience by helping produce must-read content for our website and newsletters.
The deputy editor is a member of the newsroom’s leadership team and will work with other editors to shape the direction of Modern Healthcare’s day-to-day coverage, which includes breaking news, features and analysis. The ideal candidate must have the fast metabolism and sense of urgency necessary to directly oversee a group of beat reporters, generating ideas and assigning and editing stories on critical beats of importance to our subscribers.
The deputy editor also will work with our audience and data teams to advance our mission. Our audience is health care industry executives, policymakers and decision-makers. Our goal is to shape policy and hold organizations accountable.
- A degree in journalism or related field
- Three or more years of editing experience
- A track record of managing reporters
- Experience covering business and/or healthcare and an understanding of the issues affecting the nation’s healthcare industry
- Exceptional news judgment
- Familiarity with SEO and best practices
- A team player with strong communication skills who works well in a collaborative environment
- Ability to think strategically, using metrics on audience engagement to help guide decision-making
- Experience managing both onsite and remote reporters
- An entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to try alternate story formats
- Experience using Adobe Analytics and Metrics for News
There is a preference for the position to be based in Chicago. We are open to someone working remote with occasional travel into the Chicago office from one of the ET, CT or MT states listed on our site.
To apply, go here.