News Corp. announced on Tuesday that it will be cutting under 100 jobs across several of its mastheads, including The Daily Telegraph, The Herald Sun and The Australian.
The redundancies at New Corp. put greater focus on the company’s plan to “go-digital” as it also announced two weeks ago that it would cease publication of 112 community and regional newspapers, making 76 digital-only and closing down 36 titles.
Staff at ABC were also told that management expects to make roughly 250 redundancies to meet the $41 million per year budget gap, following an indexation freeze.
ABC managing director David Anderson announced that the company will be setting up a redundancy program to its content teams, which include news, entertainment, specialized, regional and local, product and content technology teams.
“The budget challenge presented to us by the indexation pause remains and we will also need to finalise savings initiatives to meet this challenge,” Anderson said in an email to staff.
“The budget gap of $41 million per annum means that despite our best efforts some of our services will be affected and, regrettably, there will be redundancies. We will provide more information about these changes when we share the five-year plan.”
Read the full story here.
The Los Angeles Times is looking for a deputy editor to help shape its Business…
Bloomberg News has hired Hyonhee Shin as a reporter in its Seoul bureau. Shin previously worked for…
CNBC has hired Erin Doherty as a politics reporter. She was at Axios as a politics reporter…
Reuters announced Thursday that it's now offering artificial intelligence tools for its customers, including video…
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, driven journalist with an eye for detail to…
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an ambitious audio reporter who is passionate about business…