The following excerpt was sent out from The Colorado Sun:
The Colorado Sun has created an alliance with a group of digital news startups around the country to work toward a common goal: building and growing sustainable business models to support the important work we all do for our communities.
As it formally launches this week, the Alliance for Sustainable Local News brings together a group of high-quality, trustworthy, nonpartisan news organizations. Besides The Sun, they include:
- The Baltimore Banner, a rapidly growing, 8-month-old startup with a broad product portfolio, focused on the greater Baltimore area.
- The Daily Memphian, a 4-year-old, broad-based news organization covering all of Memphis.
- Block Club Chicago, a 4-year-old, neighborhood-centric organization now serving a majority of Chicago’s neighborhoods and offering city-wide reports.
- The Long Beach Post, which relaunched and expanded four years ago to become the primary news and community information source in the Long Beach (California) area.
- Lookout Local/Lookout Santa Cruz, a 2-year-old, full-service news company now planning expansion, with Santa Cruz County its first community served.
Together, these news organizations employ more than 275 full-time journalists and business-side team members, paying professional salaries and developing a new, needed pipeline of diverse, multi-generational, mission-driven talent.
Alliance members will remain completely independent of each other, but will support each other through shared learnings and joint initiatives.
Read more here.