Conde Nast Portfolio, one year later
Stephanie Smith of Women’s Wear Daily writes Friday on the one-year anniversary of the launch of business magazine Conde Nast Portfolio.
Smith writes, “But as its May issue, marking a year in publication, hits newsstands, [editor Joanne] Lipman remains confident about the progress made so far. ‘I’m pleased with the way we’re going,’ she told WWD. ‘With every issue you see more of the personality of the magazine coming through. Portfolio itself is hard-hitting and counterintuitive, the reporting is in depth and it has a voice.’
“Executives on the 11th floor of CondÃ© Nast appear to agree, praising both Lipman and the magazine. ‘We love her,’ said editorial director Tom Wallace. ‘She’s an ingenious editor and a capable manager. She’s produced a magazine that’s engaged her audience and won the respect of the industry it covers and the respect of its peers.’ To wit, Portfolio’s Briefs section was recognized this year by the American Society of Magazine Editors. ‘It was nominated for a National Magazine Award…that ain’t nothing,’ Wallace said proudly.
“He also argued that the amount of early tumult at Portfolio was on par with that of any launch. ‘In CondÃ© Nast Traveler’s first year, the entire design staff turned over and the executive editor left,’ said Wallace, who eventually became editor in chief of the title. ‘I came in January 1989 and soon after I got here, the managing editor and the features editor left. And then there were more changes.'”
Read more here.