Yahoo Finance, the leading online source for financial news and information, is looking for a managing editor to oversee daily coverage of breaking news and manage our staff of in-house reporters.
Candidates must have excellent communication skills, impeccable news judgment, a commitment to the highest journalistic standards, and the ability to make high-stakes decisions quickly and clearly in real time. Ideal candidates will have a proven track record of leading teams in a fast-paced digital newsroom. The Managing Editor works across multiple teams within Yahoo and may coordinate with strategic partners so an ability to multi-task is essential.
- Oversee breaking news programming of Yahoo! Finance homepage; responsible for story selection and monitoring breaking
- Edits and manages team of in-house reporters.
- Participates in discussions over Yahoo Finance Home redesign and module effectiveness
- Support efforts to build native Yahoo Finance audience and grow traffic to the site
- Works with Front Page, managing the pitch process and coordinating coverage of major news with FP
- Supports efforts to identify gaps in coverage/ensures we are on top of 24/7 news cycle, and contributes ideas and stories to enhance our timeliness
- A track record of leadership in real-time news environment
- A minimum of 5 years experience in financial journalism and a deep understanding of which stories matter most to investors
- Excellent news judgment combined with a fine-tuned sensibility of when and where to take risks
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to lead while working collaboratively with multiple teams
- A comprehensive understanding of editorial best practices, including SEO and SMO
- B.A. required, preferably in journalism or media
The position is based in New York. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Yahoo Finance editor in chief Aaron Task at email@example.com.