WSJ seeks publishing editors in New York
The Wall Street Journal is seeking skilled, highly creative editors for its fast-paced Publishing Desk in New York. These accomplished journalists are invigorated by the demands of the current news cycle, its intensity and the importance of delivering high-quality stories and visuals to readers at top speed and with accuracy. Publishing Editors meet and maintain WSJ’s standards through precise and concise editing, sharp and informative headlines and distinctive presentation.
Successful candidates must be able to think on their feet, make solid news decisions under deadline pressure and have the ability to edit and elevate stories of all types for digital and print audiences within a strict time frame, generally in the evenings and likely on the weekends. In addition to breaking and top news of the day, editors work on lively, in-depth feature stories and graphics on a variety of core subjects valued by our readers. A deep interest in all areas of news, in particular national, political, business, technology, sports and the arts is desired.
Our editors are versatile and possess the temperament to handle multiple articles and responsibilities across publishing platforms in a calm and efficient manner. The ability to work independently as well as on a team and collaborate with reporters and editors around the world is essential. Editors also interact with visual journalists as well as multi-platform publishing teams daily and must meet and respect their needs.
Experience in digital journalism and publishing is preferred as well as an appreciation of modern and innovative storytelling techniques. A desire to perform in the highest professional manner is encouraged. The ability to learn quickly and execute new skills is paramount.
The positions offered will be on a full-time or contract basis.
- Exercises strong news judgment in deadline-oriented editing and fast-paced publishing.
- Demonstrates the ability to edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Proficient in basic numeracy and draws on a variety of general knowledge, confident in analyzing the data behind a story.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics in own work.
- Understands WSJ’s brand, content and various digital and print platforms.
- Recognizes the core WSJ’s audiences, and their needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Collaborates well within a team under strict time pressures.
- Meets deadlines.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- Takes pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Wants to learn new skills.
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, social-media descriptions and photo captions.
- Understands the value of on-page and search-engine optimization, notably headlines and tags.
- Creates publishable story packages/article pages, including adding related links, visuals and other digital elements, that meet WSJ requirements.
- Assesses the digital performance of stories and make adjustments as needed.
- Knowledge of digital and social-media strategy and tools.
- Command of newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for WSJ and DJ Newswires.
To apply, go here.