WSJ seeks “Notes on the News” newsletter writer
The Wall Street Journal seeks an experienced writer for its daily Notes on the News newsletter.
Notes on the News is the Journal’s biggest free-to-read newsletter and we have ambitions to further grow its audience. In this role, you will be helping to put the news into context for hundreds of thousands of people daily by guiding them through the Journal’s broad offerings and highlighting the reporting that makes us unique.
You will act as an inside-the-newsroom reporter, unearthing authoritative insights from our journalists, providing analysis of your own and delivering it to inboxes across the world.
During the week, Notes on the News is sent in the late afternoons to help readers catch up on the day’s happenings.
We’re looking for a journalist with a confident voice who is well-versed in business and finance and can work independently across areas of coverage. This role requires superb news judgment, a command of the Journal’s core coverage priorities and a knack for finding ways to tell stories in an engaging way in email.
You will write and curate an engaging, daily, must-read email for a broad audience, and contribute to strategic thinking about growing the newsletter’s audience. You will be part of the New Formats team, which develops novel approaches to bring our journalism to new readers and deepen our relationship with our existing audience.
You will work closely with reporters and editors around the newsroom and report to the New Formats Chief.
The position will be based in our New York City office. Your application should include a resume and a cover letter that outlines why you are interested in the role and how you would approach the newsletter.
- Write, curate and edit the daily Notes on the News newsletter
- Create a unique and habit-forming experience for Notes on the News readers
- Work with audience and platforms teams to increase readership of Notes on the News
- Collaborate with the Newsletter and Curation Editor and other newsroom stakeholders to execute a clear strategy for Notes on the News that is informed by news judgment, audience insights and analytics
- Contribute to other projects related to new story formats
- Superb news judgment; a strong journalistic foundation as a reporter or editor
- A demonstrated understanding of strategies to grow and engage audiences via email or other formats
- Diplomatic and resourceful; able to work with colleagues at a variety of levels and in different teams
- An appreciation for The Wall Street Journal brand and its core coverage areas
- The ability to move projects forward in a collaborative team environment
- A passion for experimentation and a facility for data
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Flexible mindset and able to thrive in an atmosphere of change
- Comfortable balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities while meeting deadlines
To apply, go here.