The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced newsroom leader to oversee its video and audio operations.
The Global Head of Video implements the strategy for all WSJ video and audio coverage globally, focusing on mobile-first delivery of news, features, series and documentaries on topics of interest to our audience. He or she also develops new formats and strategies for delivery on third-party platforms, including Over-the-Top (OTT) and social media.
- In consultation with WSJ leadership, implement video and audio content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.
- Oversee the creation of video and audio in accordance with the coverage plan on a daily basis in cooperation with newsroom leaders and Analytics & Audience editors.
- With Executive Editor, regularly reevaluate video and audio strategy.
- Define how the Journal’s strategy, mission and values are achieved through video and audio produced by the various coverage areas and beats.
- Regularly assess and improve the KPIs of video and audio content (journalistic quality, quantity, engagement, etc.) and develop strategic and innovative platform concepts with the Digital News Editor, the Editorial Lab, and the Editor for Digital Content Strategy.
- Guide coverage chiefs and bureau chiefs on how to use video and audio in their coverage.
- Guide platform editors on best practices for video and audio on their platforms.
- Work with the Chief Technology Officer and the Editor for Digital Content Strategy to monitor and where necessary improve the technology underlying the presentation of our video and audio content on-platform and off-platform.
- Consult with commercial colleagues on video initiatives.
- Provide clear quality guidelines for the video and departments.
- Inspire the teams to do their best work.
- Promote a clear, efficient and effective workflow for the team.
- Model and encourage effective coordination between the video and audio team and the rest of the newsroom
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership, respect and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Under the direction of the Managing Editor, manage the budgets of the various sections and track and meet budget goals (traveling budgets, fees for external services, equipment etc.).
- Experienced newsroom manager with practical experience and knowledge of video and video journalism.
- Considerable experience planning, shooting, editing and developing video and audio content for media brands.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant video and audio journalism, know what does not work, and make qualified calls.
- Understand modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Be able to lead and inspire staff to come up with compelling and important audio/visual ideas; possess excellent communications skills.
- Be able to successfully delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, prioritizing from the standpoint of the WSJ audience, maintaining a slate of future story ideas that fulfill and advance the video and audio team.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
- Experienced with and understanding of the commercial space, including potential partners.
To apply, go here.