WSJ seeks editor for new commerce initiative
The marketplace for goods and services has never been more complex. WSJ is building a new commerce initiative that will help guide readers to make smart, informed decisions on what to buy. WSJ readers are discerning and thoughtful. They view the Journal as a trusted source, and therefore its content must maintain the highest standard of quality journalism.
We are looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial editor to be at the center of building this new site. The Editor, Commerce will have a voice in building the site’s unique set of editorial standards and will bring a journalistic vision to ensure the site reflects WSJ’s trusted reputation and authority. This role will be responsible for conceiving and developing creative ways to engage with readers and meet their needs.
The Editor, Commerce will be a key leader alongside the Head of Content, helping to identify content opportunities, assign stories, coach editors and maintain a high quality of storytelling. The goal is not a vanilla commerce site—we are looking for editors who can help us build a commerce platform that is unique and differentiated from others in the space.
The ideal candidate is motivated, hands on and happy to roll up their sleeves when necessary. During the early phases, we need someone who can write articles while also helping to manage the team.
- Collaborate with the Head of Content to manage the editorial team
- Bring expertise on the topics you are most versed in, while bringing curiosity and a keenness to learn the topics that are newer to you.
- Write and edit stories depending on size and capacity of the team
- Identify new coverage areas, story ideas and editorial perspective
- Lead strategic initiatives to build new content products
- Collaborate with the Head of Content to develop an editorial voice and set of standards
- 5-10 years of experience in editorial roles (exposure to commerce content is a plus but is not required)
- Knowledge of some of the likely categories of the commerce initiative, including personal finance, personal technology, consumer products and lifestyle goods
- Experience writing and/or editing service journalism content
- Experience using SEO insights to identify new content areas and to improve the performance of articles
- Experience managing reporters and coaching them to improve their craft
- Talented writer able to deliver content that is both helpful and engaging
- Efficient researcher and writer able to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to produce well-reported, clean, publish-ready articles
- Highly organized, detail-oriented
- Understanding of social media
- College degree preferred
Candidates should submit links to their editorial work alongside their resume
To apply, go here.