WSJ seeks deputy world coverage chief in Hong Kong
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a talented editor to direct our political and economic news in Asia.
The position is based in Hong Kong and involves working with our network of seven bureaus and 200 journalists in the region to conceptualize and deliver the highest quality news and enterprise from one of the most dynamic regions of the world.
Asia is home to stories that are shaping the world — most notably how the U.S., long the region’s power broker, is dealing with the rise of China in everything from trade to military strategy to technology policy to its relations with allies. The region encompasses three of the world’s largest economies, crucial U.S. treaty allies, a tense nuclear standoff, and major human rights crises. It is an exciting and exceedingly important area of the globe, and we are looking for an experienced hand to help tell its stories.
- Develop and regularly re-evaluate the World team’s content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.
- Implement a daily coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Chief News Editor and Platform Editors.
- Implement a rolling long- and mid-term coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the World Coverage Chief, Planning Editor and Platform Editors.
- Oversee and manage a rigorous story-pitch and story prioritization process to select the journalism that is to be pursued by the coverage area.
- Oversee and manage the creation of story packages on article-page level (text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc.) and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages in coordination with the World Coverage Chief and the Chief News Editor. Test and ensure error-free publication (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Track key audience indicators. Provide regular and actionable feedback to staff to improve overall journalistic quality and workflow efficiency.
- Ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as “further read” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., based on audience data.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day work of teams of bureau chiefs, global deputies and reporters.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Extensive experience as a journalist and superb news judgment.
- Extensive experience editing and writing.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal — digital and print — and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Equally at home in digital media environments and print, with demonstrated excellence in writing and editing in both. Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in various digital formats. Also know what does not work and make qualified calls
- Understands and applies creatively modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Deep understanding of platform-specific storytelling characteristics.
- Excellent communications skills. Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the coverage area’s strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
This position reports to the World Coverage Chief and works very closely with the Chief News Editor, Chief Visuals Editor and Planning Editor.
To apply, go here.