The World Coverage Chief drives daily and long-term decision-making and sets plans and priorities for coverage. He or she manages the bureau chiefs and reporters who work in this area, and ensures their work has the greatest possible impact upon our audience. This editor drives both breaking and non-breaking news, with a very strong focus on delivery on mobile platforms.
- Define how The Wall Street Journal’s strategy, mission and values are applied to our world coverage.
- Develop and regularly re-evaluate the coverage area’s content strategy across all WSJ platforms and formats.Set coverage and resource priorities in consultation with the Executive Editor.
- Create and implement a daily coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the Global News Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Create and implement a rolling long- and mid-term coverage plan for all platforms in cooperation with the Planning Editor, Analytics & Audience Editor and Platform Editors.
- Set the agenda in selected topic areas with the most definitive and authoritative coverage.
- Create, oversee and manage a rigorous story-pitch and story prioritization process to select the journalism that is to be pursued by the coverage area.
- Oversee and manage the creation of story packages on article-page level (text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc.) and ensure the packages are optimized for mobile audiences.
- Ensure that all components are of the highest quality, adhere to WSJ standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely and coordinated publication of all coverage area story packages in coordination with the Global News Editor. Test and ensure error-free publication (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Define journalistic quality standards in cooperation with the newsroom’s senior editors, and define and track key performance indicators with the Analytics & Audience Editor. Provide regular and actionable feedback to staff to improve overall journalistic quality and workflow efficiency.
- Regularly assess and improve the key performance indicators of the coverage area (journalistic quality, quantity, engagement etc.) and develop strategic and innovative content and “staging” concepts with support from the Editorial Lab.
- Work closely with the Spot Desk to make sure breaking news stories are receiving the proper input from beat reporters and bureau editors.
- Ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as “further read” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., based on audience data.
- Ensure measurement, tracking and management of relevant KPIs for audience engagement and retention on article level in collaboration with the Audience Insight team and Platform Editors.
- Initiate and oversee appropriate measures to optimize article performance in collaboration with the Audience Insight Team and Platform Editors.
- Work with the Newsletter Editor and the Digital News Editor to serve readers of newsletters generated within the coverage area. Track KPIs and optimize.
- Manage the day-to-day work of teams of bureau chiefs, global deputies and reporters.
- Set global coverage priorities and direction.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Under the direction of the Managing Editor: Track and meet budget goals (traveling budgets, fees for external services, equipment etc.).
To apply, go here.