The Wall Street Journal is looking for an Audience & Strategy Editor who will champion digital journalistic excellence in coverage that is core to the organization’s mission–financial markets, banking, investing, deals and more. This is an operational role inside the coverage team. You’ll work tactically every day to ensure our journalism reaches the widest possible audience in the most compelling way. You’ll think strategically about new approaches and new formats, and you’ll develop and execute plans off of that strategy. The job has broad scope and the pace of a digital newsroom. While you may start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office, and you will report to the Financial Editor.
- Own data and analytics for the group, preparing statistical reports and working with other editors to monitor, meet and exceed our key performance indicators.
- Be a member of the finance editing team and an active participant in our news meetings, helping shape stories with an eye toward drawing in new readers and keeping our subscribers satisfied.
- Propose and help editors and reporters execute on ways to tell stories apart from traditional text, whether through live journalism, visuals, video and podcasts or other approaches.
- Work tactically to improve the audience performance of everything we publish, every day.
- Work strategically to improve our audience performance over time.
- Be a digital expert and a digital-project leader, and liaise with publishing, platforms, visuals and other departments.
- Enthusiasm for innovation and a commitment to the outstanding journalism that is our hallmark.
- At least five years experience reporting or editing at a news organization.
- Great communication skills and collaborative spirit.
- Digital and data skills that involve some combination of digital formats, data analysis, coding, digital production or digital project management. Experience with SQL, Python or other data-analysis languages is a strong advantage.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job.
To apply, go here.